Senator Roy P. Dyson
- Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's
- Committee Assignment(s)
- Annapolis Info
102 James Senate Office Building
11 Bladen Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
Toll-free in MD
- 102 James Senate Office Building
- Interim Info
P. O. Box 229
Great Mills, 20634
- Phone 301-994-2826
- P. O. Box 229
Denotes enacted legislation
- First elected to the Senate in 1994. Member of the Senate since 1995.
- Current Assignments
- 2003- Vice Chair, Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee (Member, 1995- )
- 2004- Chair, Ethics and Election Law Subcommittee of the Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs Committee (Member, 2003-)
- 1999- Labor, Licensing, and Regulation Subcommittee of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee
- 2007- Rules Committee
- 2001- Senate Special Committee on Substance Abuse
- 2003- Senate Chair, Joint Committee on the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays Critical Area
- 2009- Joint Committee on Fair Practices and State Personnel Oversight
- 2007- Joint Committee on Legislative Ethics
- Chair, Senate Select Committee No. 8, Charles, St. Mary's, and Calvert Counties
- Past Senate Service
- Senate Chair, Joint Committee on Base Realignment and Closure, 2008-2011; Special Committee on Renewables and Clean Energy of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, 2008-2010; Chair, Base Realignment and Closure Subcommittee of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, 2007-2010; Vice Chair, Health Subcommittee of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, 2007-2010; Joint Committee on Fair Practices, 2006-2009; Joint Committee on Administrative, Executive and Legislative Review, 2003-2007; Health Subcommittee of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, 2003-2007; Alcoholic Beverages Subcommittee of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, 2003-2006; Chair, Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Subcommittee of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, 2003-2004; Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Subcommittee of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, 1999-2004; Senate Chair, Joint Committee on Chesapeake Bay Critical Areas, 1995-2003; Education Subcommittee of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, 1995-2002.
- Past House Service 1975-1981
- Environmental Matters Committee, 1975-1981.
- Public Service
- Commission to Develop the Maryland Model for Funding Higher Education, 2006-2009; Agriculture and Rural Development Committee, Southern Legislative Conference, 2008-; Commission to Study Southern Maryland Transportation Needs, 2006-2008; Advisory Committee on the Management and Protection of the State’s Water Resources, 2005-2008; Co-Chair, Incentives for Agriculture Task Force, 2006-2007; Agricultural Stewardship Commission, 2005-2006; Redistricting and Elections Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures, 2005-; Task Force to Study the Maryland Agricultural Land Preservation Foundation, 2002-2005, 2000-2001; Task Force to study the Economic Development of the Maryland Seafood and Aquaculture Industries (Executive Committee; Seafood Industry Workgroup), 2003-2004; Patuxent River Oil Spill Citizens Advisory Committee, 2000-2002; Board of Trustees, Maryland Environmental Trust, 2001-; Task Force to Study the Preservation and Enhancement of Maryland’s Heritage Resources (Enhancement and Sustainability Committee), 1999-2001; Special Commission on State Parks, 1999-2000; Task Force to Study the History and Legacy of Slavery in Maryland, 1999; Committee on Building Public Trust and Confidence in the Justice System, 1998-1999; Solid Waste Management Task Force, 1998; State Water Quality Advisory Committee, 1997-; Task Force on Affiliation Between Historic St. Mary’s City Commission and St. Mary’s College of Maryland, 1996; Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland, 1995-; U.S. House of Representatives, Congressional District 1 (Calvert, Caroline, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Harford, Kent, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester Counties), 1981-1991; Armed Services Committee, U. S. House of Representatives, 1981-1991; Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee, U. S. House of Representatives, 1981-1991; Delegate, Democratic Party National Convention, 1988; Elected 1st President of the Freshman Democrats Class of the U. S. House of Representatives, 1981; Delegate, Democratic National Conference, 1978; Presidential Elector, Maryland, 1976.
- Taxpayers Protection Caucus, 2003-; Maryland Rural Caucus, 2002-; Maryland Legislative Sportsman’s Caucus, 2001-; Maryland Farm Bureau; Fraternal Order of the Police; Moose Lodge; Knights of Columbus; Elks.
- Outstanding Young Man of the Year , 1977.
- Biographical Information
- Born, Great Mills, Maryland, November 15, 1948; Parochial and Public Schools, St. Mary’s County; Montgomery Junior College; University of Baltimore; University of Maryland; Honorary Degree, University of Maryland, 1988; Former Legislative Assistant and Research Director for U.S. Representative William D. Ford of Michigan; Former Special Assistant , Subcommittee on Agricultural Labor, U.S. House of Representatives; Former Assistant Director of Operations, Democratic National Committee; Member, Holy Face Church, Great Mills.
Last Updated: 10/15/2019 3:25 PM