Article - Transportation
(a) There is a Maryland Aviation Commission.
(b) The Commission shall:
(1) Establish policies directed toward the Maryland Aviation Administration’s ability to improve and promote the role of the Baltimore–Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport as an airport of service to the Washington–Baltimore metropolitan area;
(2) Approve regulations for the operation of the State–owned airports prior to their adoption by the Executive Director;
(3) Direct the Administration in developing and implementing airport management policy for all State–owned airports;
(4) Approve major capital projects, as defined in § 2–103.1(a)(4) of this article, at any State–owned airport prior to the submission of those projects to the Governor and General Assembly for approval;
(5) Exercise those powers granted to the Commission by this title or by any other provision of law; and
(6) In carrying out the provisions of this subtitle, consider information and advice from the air carrier industry, the airport concessionaire industry, the airline support services industry, and citizen advisory groups.
(c) (1) The Commission shall consist of nine voting members:
(i) Eight appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate; and
(ii) The Secretary of Transportation, who shall be the Chairman of the Commission.
(2) The Secretary of Commerce shall serve as a nonvoting ex officio Commission member.
(d) (1) Subject to the provisions of paragraph (3) of this subsection, the Governor may not appoint to the Commission:
(i) An officer or employee of the State, except as provided in subsection (c) of this section;
(ii) A representative of any entity whose principal activities are related to the operation of State–owned airports;
(iii) A person employed by any entity whose principal activities are related to the operation of State–owned airports; or
(iv) A member of the General Assembly.
(2) In appointing the eight members of the Commission, the Governor shall take into consideration both the geographic and ethnic representation of the State such that all segments of the population of the State to the extent possible are represented on the Commission.
(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, a member of any State board, commission, or authority may be appointed a member of the Maryland Aviation Commission. Any person so appointed who is compensated by the State is not entitled to any compensation or other emolument, except expenses incurred in connection with attendance at hearings, meetings, field trips, and working sessions, for any services rendered as a Commissioner.
(e) (1) Each appointed member serves for a term of 3 years and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(2) The terms of the members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Commission on October 1, 1994.
(3) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) A member who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(f) (1) The Commission shall meet at a time and place designated by the Chairman of the Commission.
(2) The Commission shall meet as often as its duties require, but not less than quarterly.
(3) (i) Attendance by five members shall constitute a quorum.
(ii) No formal action may be taken by the Commission except by an affirmative vote of a majority of the entire Commission.
(g) Except as provided under subsection (d)(3) of this section, members of the Commission appointed by the Governor are entitled to the compensation and expenses provided for in the State budget. Members of the Commission are subject to the provisions of § 8–501 of the State Government Article.