Article - State Personnel and Pensions
(a) Collective bargaining shall include all matters relating to:
(1) wages, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment; and
(2) the time and manner of access to a new employee program as required under § 3–307 of this title.
(b) (1) Collective bargaining may include negotiations relating to the right of an employee organization to receive service fees from nonmembers.
(2) An employee whose religious beliefs are opposed to joining or financially supporting any collective bargaining organization is:
(i) not required to pay a service fee; and
(ii) required to pay an amount of money as determined in collective bargaining negotiations, not to exceed any service fee negotiated under paragraph (1) of this subsection, to any charitable organization exempt from taxation under § 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and to furnish written proof of the payment to:
1. A. the Department;
B. in the case of an employee of the Maryland Environmental Service, the Board of Directors of the Service; or
C. in the case of an employee of an institution of higher education specified in § 3–102(a)(1)(v) of this title, the President of the institution or the President’s designee; and
2. the exclusive representative.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, the representatives of the State, the Maryland Environmental Service, a system institution, Morgan State University, St. Mary’s College of Maryland, and Baltimore City Community College:
(1) shall not be required to negotiate over any matter that is inconsistent with applicable law; and
(2) may negotiate and reach agreement with regard to any such matter only if it is understood that the agreement with respect to such matter cannot become effective unless the applicable law is amended by the General Assembly.