Article - State Government
(a) (1) The Commission consists of the following members appointed by the Governor.
(2) Of the members:
(i) 1 shall be appointed from each of the 8 congressional districts in the State;
(ii) 1 shall be a veteran appointed from the State at large;
(iii) 1 shall be a woman veteran appointed from the State at large;
(iv) 1 shall be a representative of a retired enlisted organization;
(v) 1 shall be a veteran of the Iraq or Afghanistan conflict, as defined in § 1–202(a–1) of the Public Safety Article;
(vi) 1 shall be appointed from a list of individuals submitted to the Governor by each of the following organizations:
1. the American Ex–Prisoners of War, Inc.;
2. the American Legion;
3. the Amvets;
4. the Catholic War Veterans;
5. the Disabled American Veterans;
6. the Fleet Reserve Association;
7. the Jewish War Veterans;
8. the Marine Corps League;
9. the Maryland Military Officers Association of America;
10. the Military Order of the Purple Heart;
11. the Polish Legion of American Veterans;
12. the Veterans of Foreign Wars;
13. the Vietnam Veterans of America;
14. the Korean War Veterans Association, Inc.;
15. the National Association for Black Veterans;
16. the Colonial Chapter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America; and
17. the Reserve Organization of America; and
(vii) 1 shall be an honorary nonvoting member appointed from a list of individuals submitted to the Governor by the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association.
(b) Each member must be a resident of the State and a veteran.
(c) (1) The term of an appointed member is 5 years.
(2) The terms of the appointed members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Commission on October 1, 1984.
(3) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) A member who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(5) When an organization is no longer a part of the Commission, the appointment shall terminate at the end of the current member’s term.
(d) A new organization may not be eligible for representation on the Commission, by appointment of the Governor, unless it is congressionally chartered.