Article - State Government
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Commission” has the meaning stated in § 9–1A–01 of this title.
(c) “Gaming establishment” means, for purposes of the federal Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 and its related regulations, a sports wagering licensee having at least $1,000,000 in annual gross revenue.
(d) “Horse racing licensee” means the holder of a license issued by the State Racing Commission under Title 11, Subtitle 5 of the Business Regulation Article to hold racing in Anne Arundel County.
(e) “Mobile sports wagering licensee” means a sports wagering licensee who is authorized to conduct and operate online sports wagering.
(f) “Online sports wagering” means sports wagering through an online gaming system:
(1) on a computer, a mobile device, or any other interactive device; and
(2) that is accepted by a sports wagering licensee or an online sports wagering operator.
(g) “Online sports wagering operator” means an entity registered with a state to do business within a jurisdiction of the United States that holds a license issued by the Commission under this subtitle to operate online sports wagering on behalf of a sports wagering licensee.
(h) “Proceeds” means the amount of money wagered on a sporting event, less:
(1) the amount returned to successful bettors;
(2) the cash equivalents of any merchandise or thing of value awarded as a prize to successful bettors;
(3) free bets and promotional credits redeemed by bettors; and
(4) all excise taxes paid by a sports wagering licensee in accordance with federal law.
(i) (1) “Sporting event” means:
(i) a professional sports or athletic event;
(ii) a collegiate sports or athletic event;
(iii) an Olympic or international sports or athletic event;
(iv) an electronic sports or video game competition in which each participant is at least 18 years old;
(v) a motor race event sanctioned by a motor racing governing entity;
(vi) except as otherwise prohibited under Title 11 of the Business Regulation Article or the federal Interstate Horse Racing Act, a horse race, held in or out of the State, if consented to and approved by:
1. the horse racing licensee of the applicable breed;
2. the organization representing the majority of the owners and trainers of the applicable breed in the State;
3. the organization representing the majority of the applicable breeders in the State; and
4. the State Racing Commission;
(vii) any portion of a sporting event, including the individual performance statistics of athletes or competitors in a sporting event; or
(viii) an award event or competition of national or international prominence if expressly authorized by the Commission.
(2) “Sporting event” does not include:
(i) a high school sports or athletic event; or
(ii) a fantasy competition regulated under Subtitle 1D of this title.
(j) “Sports wagering” means the business of accepting wagers on any sporting event by any system or method of wagering, including single–game bets, teaser bets, parlays, over–under, moneyline, pools, exchange wagering, in–game wagering, in–play bets, proposition bets, and straight bets.
(k) (1) “Sports wagering facility licensee” means a sports wagering licensee who is authorized to conduct and operate sports wagering at the sports wagering facility owned, leased, or occupied by the sports wagering licensee.
(2) “Sports wagering facility licensee” includes the holder of a Class A–1, A–2, B–1, or B–2 sports wagering facility license issued under § 9–1E–06 of this subtitle.
(l) “Sports wagering license” means a license issued by the Commission under this subtitle that authorizes the holder to accept wagers on sporting events.
(m) “Sports wagering licensee” means the holder of a sports wagering license.
(n) “Video lottery facility” has the meaning stated in § 9–1A–01 of this title.
(o) “Video lottery operation license” has the meaning stated in § 9–1A–01 of this title.
(p) “Video lottery operator” has the meaning stated in § 9–1A–01 of this title.