Article - State Government
(a) The Director shall:
(1) supervise and administer the State lottery in accordance with the regulations of the Agency and this subtitle;
(2) confer, at least once a month, with the Commission on the operation and administration of the State lottery;
(3) make available to the Commission any record or other information of the Agency that the Commission requests;
(4) advise the Commission about any change needed to improve the operation or administration of the State lottery;
(5) with the approval of the Commission and subject to Division II of the State Finance and Procurement Article, contract for:
(i) the operation of all or any part of the State lottery; and
(ii) the use of space, for advertising or promotional purposes, on tickets or publications distributed by the Agency, if, in the Director’s discretion, the action is fiscally prudent and in the best interest of the State lottery;
(6) submit monthly to the Comptroller and to the Commission a certified statement of the total State lottery revenues and the total prize disbursements and other expenses for the preceding month; and
(7) with the approval of the Commission, contract for the promotion of the State lottery and enter into private sector cooperative marketing project agreements as provided for in § 11–203(a)(1)(xiii) of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(b) With the approval of the Commission and the Legislative Policy Committee, the Director may enter into agreements to operate multijurisdictional lotteries or raffles with:
(1) any other political entity outside the State or outside the United States that operates a lottery or raffle; or
(2) a private licensee of a state or a foreign nation.
(c) The Commission may advise the Director on the operation and administration of the State lottery.
(d) In accordance with the regulations of the Agency and this subtitle, the Director may:
(1) arrange for a person to perform any activity, function, or service in connection with the operation of the State lottery which shall constitute a lawful activity, function, or service of the person; and
(2) authorize the Agency to sell lottery tickets for a temporary period at any promotional or special event being held in the State if:
(i) in the Director’s determination, no licensed agent is available to conduct the sale; and
(ii) the person holding the promotional or special event has authorized the Agency to sell lottery tickets at the event.
(e) The Agency may not allow the establishment of any system or program that allows a person to purchase a State lottery ticket through an electronic device that connects to the Internet, such as a personal computer or mobile device.