Article - Public Safety
(a) (1) There is a Vehicle Theft Prevention Council in the Department.
(2) The purpose of the Council is to help prevent and deter theft of private passenger and commercial motor vehicles and related crime, including vandalism and theft of property from vehicles, in the State.
(b) (1) The Council consists of the following 13 members appointed by the Governor:
(i) as ex officio members of the Council:
1. the Secretary or a designee;
2. the Secretary of Juvenile Services or a designee;
3. the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services or a designee; and
4. the Motor Vehicle Administrator of the Motor Vehicle Administration; and
(ii) nine regular members.
(2) Of the nine regular members:
(i) one member shall represent a local law enforcement agency;
(ii) one member shall represent a State’s Attorney’s office in the State;
(iii) one member shall represent a domestic insurer that issues private passenger automobile or commercial motor vehicle liability insurance in the State;
(iv) one member shall represent a foreign insurer that issues private passenger automobile or commercial motor vehicle liability insurance in the State;
(v) one member shall represent the Governor’s Office;
(vi) one member shall represent the National Insurance Crime Bureau or a similar organization; and
(vii) three members shall represent the public, including one member who represents a neighborhood or community association.
(c) (1) The members serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
(2) The term of a regular member is 3 years.
(3) The terms of the regular members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Council on October 1, 2003.
(4) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(d) The Governor shall appoint the Chairman of the Council.
(e) A member of the Council:
(1) may not receive compensation as a member of the Council; but
(2) is entitled to reimbursement for expenses from the Fund in accordance with the Standard State Travel Regulations.
(f) (1) The Council shall employ an executive director, who shall be appointed by the Governor.
(2) The expenses of the Council, including staff salaries and administrative expenses, shall be paid from the Fund but may not exceed 7% of the total expenditures from the Fund in a fiscal year.
(3) The Assistant Attorney General assigned to the Department is the legal advisor to the Council.
(g) (1) The Council has the following powers and duties:
(i) to make grants from the Fund for motor vehicle theft intervention programs, as provided in § 2-703 of this subtitle;
(ii) to solicit and accept money for deposit into the Fund, to be used to carry out the purposes of this subtitle;
(iii) to establish or assist in the establishment of programs designed to reduce the incidence of vehicle theft and related crime;
(iv) to identify priorities for theft prevention strategies in the State and criteria for the Council’s evaluation of recipients of assistance from the Council; and
(v) to study and propose laws that will further prevent and deter vehicle theft and related crime.
(2) The Council shall develop and implement a plan of operation.