Article - Public Safety
(a) There is a Maryland Food System Resiliency Council in the Office of Resilience in the Department.
(b) The Council consists of the following members:
(1) one member of the Senate of Maryland, appointed by the President of the Senate;
(2) one member of the House of Delegates, appointed by the Speaker of the House;
(3) the Secretary, or the Secretary’s designee;
(4) the Secretary of Human Services, or the Secretary’s designee;
(5) the Secretary of Agriculture, or the Secretary’s designee;
(6) the Secretary of Commerce, or the Secretary’s designee;
(7) the Executive Director of the Maryland Farm Bureau, or the Executive Director’s designee;
(8) the Executive Director of the Maryland Agricultural and Resource–Based Industry Development Corporation, or the Executive Director’s designee;
(9) the Dean of the University of Maryland College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, or the Dean’s designee; and
(10) the following members appointed by the Secretary:
(i) five representatives of five different food council organizations who are recommended by members of food council organizations;
(ii) one representative of the University of Maryland Extension;
(iii) one representative of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore Small Farm Program;
(iv) one representative of the Harry R. Hughes Center for Agro–Ecology;
(v) one representative of a public school system in the State who has experience in food security and local food procurement;
(vi) one representative of a statewide food security advocacy organization;
(vii) one farmer in the State;
(viii) one representative of the seafood industry;
(ix) one owner of a food business in the State;
(x) one expert in food system policy;
(xi) one expert on racial equity in the food system;
(xii) one expert on food system impacts on climate and the environment;
(xiii) one expert on food nutrition and public health; and
(xiv) any other individual that the Secretary deems appropriate.
(c) The Secretary shall:
(1) ensure that all five geographic areas of the State are represented by the appointed members of the Council; and
(2) appoint a successor in the event of a vacancy on the Council.
(d) (1) (i) The term of a member of the Council appointed by the Secretary is 3 years.
(ii) An appointed member may not serve for more than 2 consecutive 3–year terms.
(2) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(3) A member who is appointed after a term has begun shall serve for the rest of the term or until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(e) A member of the Council:
(1) may not receive compensation as a member of the Council; but
(2) is entitled to reimbursement for expenses under the Standard State Travel Regulations, as provided in the State Budget.
(f) A majority of the members then serving on the Council is a quorum.
(g) (1) (i) The Secretary, or the Secretary’s designee, and one member who is elected in accordance with subparagraph (ii) of this paragraph shall cochair the Council.
(ii) At the first meeting of each year, the Council shall elect a cochair from among the Council members for a term of 1 year.
(2) The Secretary of Agriculture, or the Secretary’s designee, the Secretary of Human Services, or the Secretary’s designee, and the Dean of the University of Maryland College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, or the Dean’s designee shall co–vice chair the Council.
(h) (1) The Council may establish subcommittees to provide technical assistance to the Council.
(2) The Council may establish subcommittee topics and membership as the Council deems appropriate.
(i) The Department shall provide staff for the Council.