Article - Natural Resources
(a) (1) There is a BayStat Program to:
(i) Measure and evaluate efforts to restore the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays; and
(ii) Administer the Trust Fund.
(2) The BayStat Subcabinet shall oversee the administration of the BayStat Program.
(3) The BayStat Subcabinet is composed of:
(i) The Secretary of Natural Resources;
(ii) The Secretary of the Environment;
(iii) The Secretary of Planning;
(iv) The Secretary of Agriculture;
(v) The President of the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science;
(vi) The Dean of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Maryland, College Park Campus; and
(vii) The chair of the Critical Area Commission for the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays.
(b) The BayStat Program shall:
(1) Provide accurate and timely data to policymakers and the public about the efficacy and cost–effectiveness of local, State, and federal programs to restore the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays;
(2) Track and assess the progress of State and federal programs to improve the health of the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays;
(3) Assess the effectiveness of enforcement programs in curbing pollution and achieving Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays restoration goals and institute actions to improve the effectiveness of enforcement programs;
(4) Adopt measurable goals for Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays restoration;
(5) Identify new threats to the health of the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays;
(6) Increase public awareness of, and participation in, efforts to restore the vitality of the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays; and
(7) Direct the administration of the Trust Fund.
(c) The BayStat Subcabinet shall:
(1) Report annually to the public regarding:
(i) The health of the Chesapeake Bay tributary basin;
(ii) The health of the Atlantic Coastal Bays and their tributaries;
(iii) The status of local, State, and federal programs to restore the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays; and
(iv) Estimated nutrient reductions achieved through projects financed by the Trust Fund; and
(2) (i) Develop an annual work plan that identifies the planned work to be funded with money from the Trust Fund for the next fiscal year, including annual nutrient and sediment reduction targets, performance measures, and accountability criteria; and
(ii) Develop an annual expenditure plan that identifies planned expenditures for the work plan and includes an accounting of all moneys distributed from the Trust Fund in the previous fiscal year.
(d) The Governor shall submit the annual work and expenditure plans to the General Assembly as part of the annual budget submission.
(e) On an annual basis the BayStat Subcabinet shall prepare a final work and expenditure plan based on the budget approved by the General Assembly.