Article - Human Services
(a) The Commission consists of the following members:
(1) the Secretary, who shall serve as the ex officio chair of the Commission;
(2) two members of the Senate, appointed as follows:
(i) one member of the Senate Budget and Taxation Committee, appointed by the President of the Senate; and
(ii) one member appointed by the Minority Leader of the Senate;
(3) two members of the House of Delegates, appointed as follows:
(i) one member of the House Appropriations Committee, appointed by the Speaker of the House; and
(ii) one member appointed by the Minority Leader of the House of Delegates;
(4) the Secretary of Housing and Community Development, or the Secretary’s designee;
(5) the Secretary of Disabilities, or the Secretary’s designee;
(6) the Secretary of Health, or the Secretary’s designee;
(7) the Secretary of Housing and Community Development, or the Secretary’s designee;
(8) the Secretary of Labor, or the Secretary’s designee;
(9) the Secretary of Juvenile Services, or the Secretary’s designee;
(10) the Superintendent of the Maryland State Department of Education, or the Superintendent’s designee;
(11) one director of a local department of social services, appointed by the Secretary of Human Services in consultation with the Maryland Association of Social Services Directors;
(12) one county health officer, appointed by the Secretary of Health in consultation with the Maryland Association of County Health Officers;
(13) one member appointed by the Maryland Association of Community Colleges; and
(14) two public members appointed by the Governor, including at least one parent with experience in child welfare advocacy or community action partnerships.
(b) To the extent practicable, appointments under this section shall ensure geographic diversity among the membership of the Commission.
(c) (1) This subsection applies to commissioners appointed under subsection (a)(11) through (14) of this section.
(2) The term of a commissioner is 4 years.
(3) The terms of the members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Commission on October 1, 2020.
(4) At the end of a term, a commissioner continues to serve until a successor is appointed.
(5) A commissioner who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed.
(d) The Department shall provide staff for the Commission.
(e) A member of the Commission:
(1) may not receive compensation as a member of the Commission; but
(2) is entitled to reimbursement for expenses under the Standard State Travel Regulations, as provided in the State budget.