Article - Health Occupations
(a) The Committee consists of 11 members appointed by the Board as follows:
(1) Three licensed athletic trainers who:
(i) Are certified by a national certifying board; and
(ii) Have a minimum of 5 years of clinical experience;
(2) Three licensed physicians:
(i) At least one of whom is a specialist in orthopedic or sports medicine; and
(ii) Two of whom previously or currently have partnered with or directed an athletic trainer;
(3) One member who is:
(i) A licensed chiropractor who has sports medicine experience;
(ii) A licensed physical therapist; or
(iii) A licensed occupational therapist; and
(4) Two consumer members.
(b) (1) The athletic trainer members may be appointed by the Board from a list of qualified individuals submitted to the Board by the Maryland Athletic Trainers Association, Inc.
(2) The Board may request an additional list of nominees for each vacancy.
(c) The consumer member of the Committee:
(1) Shall be a member of the general public;
(2) May not be or ever have been:
(i) An athletic trainer;
(ii) A health care professional; or
(iii) In training to be an athletic trainer or other health professional; and
(3) May not:
(i) Participate or ever have participated in a commercial or professional field related to athletic training;
(ii) Have had within 2 years before appointment a financial interest in a person regulated by the Board; or
(iii) Have had within 2 years before appointment a financial interest in the provision of goods or services to athletic trainers or to the field of athletic training.
(d) (1) The term of a member is 3 years.
(2) The terms of members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Committee on October 1, 2009.
(3) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed.
(4) A member who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed.
(e) (1) From among its members, the Committee shall elect a chair every 2 years.
(2) The chair shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Board as a representative of the Committee.