Article - Education
(a) (1) In accordance with Title 10, Subtitle 1 of the State Government Article, both the State Board and the Board shall develop for consideration rules and regulations for:
(i) Except as provided in item (iii) of this paragraph, the certification of teachers and other professional personnel in accordance with this article;
(ii) Requirements for preparation of teachers and other education personnel;
(iii) The certification of social workers employed by a local school employer as professional personnel; and
(iv) Attracting and providing certification to teachers from groups historically underrepresented in the teaching profession.
(2) Rules and regulations developed by the State Board shall be reviewed by the Board.
(3) Rules and regulations developed by the Board shall be reviewed by the State Board.
(4) Rules and regulations that are initiated by either the State Board or the Board and submitted for review to each other shall be acted upon within 60 days of their receipt by the other party.
(5) Recommendations on rules and regulations shall be implemented if both the Board and the State Board approve them.
(6) An individual who is otherwise qualified may not be denied the right to receive credentials from the Board, to receive training to become a teacher, or to practice teaching in any school because that individual is totally or partially blind.
(7) A county board may not refuse to contract with or engage a teacher because of blindness if the blind teacher is capable of performing the duties of the position for which he has applied.
(8) The right of a school psychologist, who is certified by the Board to practice school psychology consistent with the provisions of that certification, may not be limited by Title 18 of the Health Occupations Article with respect to the practice of school psychology in an educational institution.
(b) (1) The Board may establish a fee, not to exceed $10, for issuance or renewal of a teacher certificate.
(2) The Board may not require a fee:
(i) For the addition of any new area of certification to a currently valid certificate; or
(ii) Except for the fee authorized under this subsection, for the evaluation of credentials for the certification of teachers.