Article - Education
(a) (1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, the county board shall employ individuals in the positions that the county board considers necessary for the operation of the public schools in the county.
(2) In Prince George’s County, the Chief Executive Officer of the Prince George’s County public school system shall hire and set the salaries of a chief operating officer, a chief financial officer, a chief academic officer, a chief of staff, a board liaison, and any other necessary executive staff in the office of the Chief Executive Officer.
(b) (1) Except as provided in subsection (a) of this section, the county superintendent shall nominate for appointment by the county board:
(i) All professional assistants of the office of county superintendent; and
(ii) All principals, teachers, and other certificated personnel.
(2) As to these personnel, the county superintendent shall:
(i) Assign them to their positions in the schools;
(ii) Transfer them as the needs of the schools require;
(iii) Recommend them for promotion; and
(iv) Suspend them for cause and recommend them for dismissal in accordance with § 6–202 of this subtitle.
(c) (1) Except in Worcester County and Baltimore City, the county superintendent shall appoint clerical and other nonprofessional personnel.
(2) In Worcester County, the County Superintendent shall appoint clerical and other nonprofessional personnel with the advice and consent of the county board.
(3) Notwithstanding any provision of local law, in Baltimore City, the appointment, tenure, and compensation of clerical and other nonprofessional personnel shall be determined in accordance with the personnel system established by the Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners under § 4–311 of this article.
(d) (1) Supervisory and administrative personnel shall be appointed in each county in accordance with ratios established by the rules and regulations of the State Board and within the ratio established under § 2–205(m) of this article.
(2) These personnel shall include:
(i) Supervising or helping teachers;
(ii) Supervisors of pupil personnel I;
(iii) Supervisors of pupil personnel II; and
(iv) Visiting teachers.
(e) An individual may not be appointed as a professional assistant or to any position listed in subsection (d) of this section unless he holds the appropriate certificate from the State Superintendent issued in accordance with the rules and regulations of the State Board.
(f) Subject to the provisions of this article, the qualifications, tenure, and compensation of each appointee shall be determined by the county board.
(g) The county superintendent shall see that each regular appointee of the county board devotes his entire time to his duties.