Article - Education
(a) The Calvert County Board consists of five voting members and one nonvoting student member.
(b) The five voting members of the Calvert County Board shall be elected at a general election as required by subsections (d) and (f) of this section.
(c) (1) (i) A member from a county commissioner district shall be a resident of the district.
(ii) A member from a county commissioner district who no longer resides in the district may not continue as a member of the county board.
(2) (i) A member from the county at large shall be a resident of the county.
(ii) A member at large who no longer resides in the county may not continue as a member of the county board.
(3) A member of the county board shall be a registered voter of the county for at least 2 years prior to the date of the beginning of the term of office of the member.
(d) Of the five voting members of the county board:
(1) One shall be elected from each of the three county commissioner districts; and
(2) Two shall be elected from the county at large.
(e) (1) Except for the student member, a member serves for a term of 4 years beginning January 1 after the election of the member and until a successor is elected and qualifies.
(2) The County Commissioners shall appoint a new member to fill any vacancy on the county board for the remainder of that term and until a successor is elected and qualifies.
(3) (i) Unless otherwise disqualified under this section, a member of the county board is eligible for reelection.
(ii) An individual may not serve for more than three consecutive terms.
(f) (1) One member shall be elected from each of the county commissioner districts at the November, 1996 general election.
(2) Two members shall be elected from the county at large at the November, 1996 general election.
(3) The terms of members are staggered as provided in subsection (i) of this section.
(g) (1) The terms of the interim incumbent members of the county board who hold office on October 1, 1995 shall expire on January 1, 1997.
(2) The members elected under the provisions of subsection (f) of this section shall be elected to replace the members of the county board serving on the board on the date of the election.
(h) (1) The student member shall:
(i) Be an eleventh or twelfth grade student in the Calvert County public school system elected by the high school students of the county in accordance with procedures established by the school system;
(ii) Serve for 1 year beginning on June 1;
(iii) Be a nonvoting member; and
(iv) Advise the board on the thoughts and feelings of the students.
(2) Unless invited to attend by an affirmative vote of a majority of the county board, the student may not attend an executive session.
(i) The terms of the members of the county board who take office on January 1, 1997 shall expire as follows:
(1) The members elected from each of the county commissioner districts in 2000; and
(2) The members elected from the county at large in 2002.