Article - Education
(a) (1) There is a Baltimore County School Board Nominating Commission.
(2) The purpose of the Commission is to select nominees to be recommended to the Governor as qualified candidates for appointment to the Baltimore County Board of Education.
(3) The Commission shall hold at least three public hearings, each in a different councilmanic district, on the selection of nominees before recommending to the Governor nominees for appointment to the county board.
(b) (1) The Commission consists of 19 members who shall be appointed in accordance with this subsection.
(2) The Commission shall reflect the rich cultural, geographic, ethnic, and racial diversity of Baltimore County.
(3) The Governor, in consultation with the County Executive of Baltimore County, shall appoint eight members, one from each legislative district that lies in whole or in part in Baltimore County.
(4) The County Executive of Baltimore County shall appoint one member from the county at large.
(5) The following organizations each shall appoint one member:
(i) The Teachers Association of Baltimore County;
(ii) The Baltimore County Chamber of Commerce;
(iii) The PTA Council of Baltimore County, Inc.;
(iv) Towson University;
(v) The League of Women Voters of Baltimore County;
(vi) The Baltimore County Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People;
(vii) The Baltimore County Public Schools’ Special Education Citizens’ Advisory Committee;
(viii) The Baltimore County Student Councils;
(ix) The Council of Administrative and Supervisory Employees; and
(x) The Education Support Personnel of Baltimore County.
(c) (1) The County Executive for Baltimore County shall designate one of the Commission’s members as chair of the Commission.
(2) The term of the chair of the Commission is 4 years.
(3) The term of a member of the Commission is 4 years.
(d) The Baltimore County Public Schools shall provide staff for the Commission.
(e) Beginning October 1, 2018, for each nomination for a vacancy on the county board, the Commission shall submit to the Governor a list of nominees that contains:
(1) At least two names for each vacancy; or
(2) If there are fewer than two applicants for a vacancy, the number of names that is equal to the number of applicants for the vacancy.
(f) (1) Absent an extraordinary circumstance, the Governor shall appoint a member to the county board from the list provided by the Commission.
(2) If the Governor elects not to appoint a member from a list submitted by the Commission, the Governor shall return the list to the Commission and request that the Commission submit the names of additional qualified candidates.