Article - Economic Development
(a) There is a Rural Broadband Assistance Fund in the Department.
(b) The purpose of the Fund is to assist in the establishment of broadband communication services in rural and underserved areas of the State.
(c) The Department shall administer the Fund.
(d) (1) The Fund is a special, nonlapsing fund that is not subject to reversion under § 7–302 of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(2) The Treasurer shall hold the Fund separately, and the Comptroller shall account for the Fund.
(e) The Fund consists of:
(1) money appropriated in the State budget to the Fund;
(2) money appropriated in the State budget to the Maryland Economic Development Assistance Fund under Subtitle 3 of this title for the purpose of assisting in the establishment of broadband communication services in rural and underserved areas of the State;
(3) federal money allocated or granted to the Fund; and
(4) any other money from any source accepted for the benefit of the Fund.
(f) The Fund may be used only for planning, construction, and maintenance of broadband communication services and equipment in rural and underserved areas and related activities.
(g) (1) The Treasurer shall invest the money in the Fund in the same manner as other State money may be invested.
(2) Any investment earnings of the Fund shall be credited to the General Fund of the State.
(h) The Department shall make payments from the Fund within 30 days after notice of a decision of the Board under § 13–504(3) of this article.