Article - Correctional Services
(a) The Secretary shall adopt regulations for the office of the Secretary.
(b) (1) The Secretary shall review regulations proposed by a unit in the Department.
(2) The Secretary may approve, disapprove, or revise regulations proposed by a unit in the Department.
(c) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the Secretary shall adopt regulations to govern the policies and management of correctional facilities in the Department in accordance with Title 10, Subtitle 1 of the State Government Article.
(2) Paragraph (1) of this subsection does not apply to a guideline pertaining to the routine internal management of correctional facilities in the Division of Correction.
(3) (i) Subject to subparagraph (ii) of this paragraph, the Secretary shall adopt regulations that provide for a requirement that:
1. a correctional officer hired on or after October 1, 2007, for employment in any unit of the Division of Correction shall be at least 21 years old; and
2. a correctional officer hired on or after October 1, 2008, for employment in any unit of the Division of Pretrial Detention and Services or the Patuxent Institution shall be at least 21 years old.
(ii) The regulations adopted under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph shall exempt any honorably discharged veteran or reserve member of the United States armed forces from the minimum age requirement.