Article - Business Regulation
A horse may be registered with the Maryland Horse Breeders Association, Inc., only if the horse was foaled in Maryland as shown by a foal certificate from the Jockey Club and:
(1) the breeder of the horse has maintained a place of abode in Maryland for more than 9 months immediately before registration;
(2) the breeder of the horse keeps breeding stock continually in Maryland;
(3) the horse was conceived in Maryland during the previous season;
(4) the horse’s dam was sent to Maryland to foal and after foaling was covered only by a Maryland stallion during the season of the horse’s birth; or
(5) if the horse’s dam dies, is permanently retired, or is certified by a veterinarian as unable to be bred, the horse resided in the State for at least 6 months after the horse was foaled.