Article - Business Occupations and Professions
(a) By regulation, the Secretary shall stagger the terms of the certifications.
(b) Unless a certification is renewed for a 3-year term as provided in this section, the certification expires on the date the Secretary sets.
(c) At least 90 days before a certification expires, the applicant shall mail to the Secretary:
(1) a renewal application form;
(2) the amount of the renewal fee; and
(3) the amount of any late fee, as determined by the Secretary.
(d) An individual periodically may renew the certification for an additional 3-year term, if the individual:
(1) otherwise is entitled to be certified;
(2) pays to the Secretary:
(i) a renewal fee of $10;
(ii) payment for the cost of a fingerprint card record check by the Federal Bureau of Investigation; and
(iii) any late fee required under this subtitle; and
(3) submits to the Secretary a renewal application on the form that the Secretary provides.
(e) (1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, if a complete application for renewal of certification as required under this subtitle is not received by the Secretary on or before the first business day of the next calendar month immediately following the renewal date, the Secretary shall assess a late fee of $5 per day until the application is received by the Secretary.
(2) (i) The Secretary may not charge a late fee under paragraph (1) of this subsection if the applicant did not make timely renewal because of incapacity, hospitalization, being called to active military duty, or other hardship.
(ii) The total amount of late fees assessed against an applicant under this subsection may not exceed $150.
(3) The Secretary may not certify any applicant under this subtitle if the applicant has outstanding late fee obligations.
(f) (1) The Secretary shall renew the certification of each individual who meets the requirements of this section.
(2) Within 5 days after the Secretary refuses to renew the certification of an individual as a security guard, the Secretary shall send written notice of the refusal to the individual who submitted the renewal application.