Article - Agriculture
(a) There is a Maryland Farms and Families Fund.
(b) The purpose of the Fund is to provide grants to:
(1) Nonprofit organizations that match purchases made with FMNP, SNAP, and WIC benefits at participating farmers markets;
(2) Nonprofit farmers markets to implement the Program at the farmers markets; and
(3) Local nonprofit organizations to implement the Program in partnership with one or more participating local farmers markets.
(c) The Secretary shall administer the Fund.
(d) (1) The Fund is a special, nonlapsing fund that is not subject to § 7–302 of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(2) The State Treasurer shall hold the Fund separately, and the Comptroller shall account for the Fund.
(e) The Fund consists of:
(1) Money appropriated in the State budget to the Fund; and
(2) Any other money from any other source accepted for the benefit of the Fund.
(f) (1) In accordance with this subsection, the Fund shall be used to provide grants to:
(i) Nonprofit organizations that:
1. Meet the qualifications established in § 10–2004 of this subtitle; and
2. Distribute the grant money to farmers markets and local nonprofit organizations in accordance with this subtitle;
(ii) Nonprofit farmers markets to implement the Program at the farmers markets; and
(iii) Local nonprofit organizations to implement the Program in partnership with one or more local farmers markets.
(2) A qualified nonprofit organization that receives a grant under this section:
(i) Shall distribute at least 70% of the grant money it receives directly to participating farmers markets as matching dollars for purchases made with FMNP, SNAP, and WIC benefits; and
(ii) May not use more than 30% of the grant money it receives for Program development, promotion and outreach, farmers market training and capacity building, technical assistance, program data collection, evaluation, administration, and reporting.
(g) (1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, for fiscal year 2021 and each fiscal year thereafter, the Governor shall include in the annual budget bill an appropriation of $100,000 to the Fund.
(2) The appropriation required under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be in addition to, and may not supplant, any funding appropriated to the Marketing and Promotion Division in the Department.