Bill number does not exist. Enter a vaild keyword.

Statutes Text

Article - State Government


    (a)    The Commission may commence a civil action in the appropriate circuit court if the Commission has probable cause to believe that:

        (1)    (i)    a person or group of persons is engaged in a pattern or practice of resistance to the full enjoyment of any of the rights granted by this part and Subtitle 7 of this title; or

            (ii)    any group of persons has been denied any of the rights granted by this part and Subtitle 7 of this title; and

        (2)    the resistance or denial raises an issue of general public importance.

    (b)    The Commission or other party at whose request a subpoena is issued under this part may enforce a subpoena in appropriate proceedings in the circuit court for the county in which the person to whom the subpoena was addressed resides, was served, or transacts business.

    (c)    (1)    In a civil action under subsection (a) of this section, the court may:

            (i)    award preventive relief, including a permanent or temporary injunction, restraining order, or other order against the person responsible for a violation of Subtitle 7 of this title as necessary to assure the full enjoyment of the rights granted by Subtitle 7 of this title;

            (ii)    award other relief the court considers appropriate, including monetary damages to aggrieved persons; and

            (iii)    to vindicate the public interest, assess a civil penalty against the respondent:

                1.    in an amount not exceeding $50,000, for a first violation; and

                2.    in an amount not exceeding $100,000, for any subsequent violation.

        (2)    In a civil action under this section, the court may allow the prevailing party, including the Commission, reasonable attorney’s fees and costs.

    (d)    (1)    On timely application, a person may intervene in a civil action commenced by the Commission under subsection (a) or (b) of this section, if the action involves:

            (i)    an alleged discriminatory housing practice to which the person is an aggrieved person; or

            (ii)    a conciliation agreement to which the person is a party.

        (2)    The court may grant any appropriate relief to any intervening party that is authorized to be granted to a plaintiff in a civil action under § 20–1035 of this subtitle.