Article - State Government
(a) In Subtitles 1 through 11 of this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Commission” means the Commission on Civil Rights.
(c) “Complainant” means a person that files a complaint alleging a discriminatory act under this title.
(d) “Discriminatory act” means an act prohibited under:
(1) Subtitle 3 of this title (Discrimination in Places of Public Accommodation);
(2) Subtitle 4 of this title (Discrimination by Persons Licensed or Regulated by Maryland Department of Labor);
(3) Subtitle 5 of this title (Discrimination in Leasing of Commercial Property);
(4) Subtitle 6 of this title (Discrimination in Employment);
(5) Subtitle 7 of this title (Discrimination in Housing); or
(6) Subtitle 8 of this title (Aiding, Abetting, or Attempting Discriminatory Act; Obstructing Compliance).
(e) “Gender identity” means the gender–related identity, appearance, expression, or behavior of a person, regardless of the person’s assigned sex at birth, which may be demonstrated by:
(1) consistent and uniform assertion of the person’s gender identity; or
(2) any other evidence that the gender identity is sincerely held as part of the person’s core identity.
(f) (1) “Respondent” means a person accused in a complaint of a discriminatory act.
(2) “Respondent” includes a person identified during an investigation of a complaint and joined as an additional or substitute respondent.
(g) “Sexual orientation” means the identification of an individual as to male or female homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality.