Article - State Finance and Procurement
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Board” means the Governor’s Advisory Board for Telecommunications Relay established in Subtitle 5 of this title.
(c) “Program” means the program developed and administered by the Department in consultation with the Board and the Department of Disabilities to provide financial assistance for the purchase of specialized customer telephone equipment by eligible program participants.
(d) “Program participant” means a person who:
(1) is a resident of the State;
(2) is certified by a licensed professional as having a disability which seriously limits or prohibits the use of the telephone or wireless network without specialized customer telephone equipment;
(3) is certified by a licensed professional as being able to use specialized customer telephone equipment for which application is made;
(4) meets the financial eligibility requirements established by the Department in consultation with the Department of Disabilities as a recipient of:
(i) Transitional Emergency Medical and Housing Assistance (TEMHA);
(ii) Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
(iii) Social Security Disability Income (SSDI); or
(iv) Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); and
(5) at the time of application is not receiving similar services which are available and can be provided in a timely manner through another program.
(e) “Qualified entity” means a nonprofit organization that:
(1) produces audio editions of daily newspapers, available for interstate distribution using high–speed computer and telecommunications technology; and
(2) provides a means of program administration and reader registration on the Internet.
(f) “Specialized customer telephone equipment” or “equipment” means any communications device designed to assist program participants in using a telephone or wireless service provider’s network.
(g) “System” means the method which the Department shall use to provide equipment to eligible program participants.