Article - Public Safety
(a) The Governor shall appoint the Director of MEMA.
(b) The Director serves at the pleasure of the Governor.
(c) (1) The Director is in the executive service of the State Personnel Management System and is entitled to the salary provided in the State budget.
(2) The Director’s employment is not subject to the conditions and limitations of the State Personnel and Pensions Article.
(d) (1) The Director is the executive head of MEMA.
(2) The Director is responsible to the Governor for carrying out the State emergency management program.
(3) If the Governor has formally declared the threat or occurrence of an emergency, the Director shall coordinate the activities of all organizations for emergency management operations in the State.
(4) The Director, in collaboration with other public and private agencies in the State, shall develop or cause to be developed mutual aid agreements for reciprocal emergency aid and assistance in case of emergency of an extreme nature that affects two or more political subdivisions.
(5) The Director shall maintain liaison and cooperate with emergency management agencies and organizations of other states and the federal government.
(e) The Director may employ personnel in accordance with the State budget and subject to the conditions and limitations of the State Personnel and Pensions Article.
(f) The Director may make expenditures within the appropriations in the State budget or from other money made available to the Director for purposes of emergency management as necessary to carry out this subtitle.