Article - Education
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Daily rate” means the target per pupil foundation amount for the current fiscal year divided by the number of weekdays in a fiscal year.
(3) “Eligible individual” means an individual who receives education services from a juvenile services education program at a facility in accordance with this subtitle.
(4) “Program” means the Juvenile Services Education County Pilot Program established under this section.
(5) “Required reimbursement” means three times the product of the daily rate multiplied by the number of days that education services are provided at a facility for each eligible individual in the prior fiscal year.
(6) “Target per pupil foundation amount” has the meaning stated in § 5–202 of this article.
(b) (1) There is a Juvenile Services Education County Pilot Program.
(2) The Program shall begin in the 2019–2020 school year.
(3) The purpose of the Program is to pilot a management model where a juvenile services education program at a facility located in a county is operated by the county board of education.
(c) The Department, after consultation with the county boards of education, shall identify one juvenile services education program to participate in the Program.
(d) A county board that participates in the Program to operate a juvenile services education program at a facility in the county shall:
(1) Follow all applicable laws and regulations regarding hours and days of instruction; and
(2) Ensure that eligible individuals have access to curricula and other content standards that are comparable to those provided to other students in the county.
(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a participating county board may employ or contract with teachers and other personnel to provide education services to eligible individuals at the facility for a 10–month or 2–month period to be paid at a salary determined by the county board.
(f) The State shall provide funding to a participating county board in an amount equal to the required reimbursement.